Prairie State Legal Services is pleased to launch its telephone legal advice line for victims of domestic violence or sexual assault who live in the counties served by PSLS**
The Legal Advice Line is open:
Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
9am to 1pm
6 p.m. to 8 pm
Victims Legal Advice Line
844/388-7757 (toll free)
We provide bilingual staff or interpreters for limited English proficient callers.
An attorney will be available during these hours to answer brief civil legal questions impacting victims of domestic violence or sexual assault.
If you are seeking for legal representation in court for matters such as a divorce, a protective order or other matter, contact your local Prairie State office Mondays through Fridays between
9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Go to www.pslegal.org to find the office serving your county).
Examples of legal advice victims may seek:
• Questions related to housing safety, the Safe Homes Act, breaking a lease
• Questions concerning emergency protective orders
• Advice for victims who fled to Illinois with their children from another state.
• Questions about visitation rights for abusers.
• Questions about victims’ rights within the criminal court process
• Questions about special protections for victims abused by fellow students.
• Advice concerning legal options for victims of sexual assault or stalking.
Prairie State attorneys will conduct a full intake and will refer appropriate cases on to local staff attorneys for representation as resources permit. However, this line is primarily focused on easing access to legal advice for victims.
This project was supported by Grant #2015-VA-GX-0049, awarded by the Office for Victims of Crime, Office of Justice Programs,U.S. Department of Justice, through the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority. Points of view or opinions contained within this document are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the U.S. Department of Justice, or the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority.
Lake County Office
325 West Washington Street, Suite 100
Waukegan, IL 60085 (847) 662-6925 and (800) 942-3940 FAX: (847) 662-6986
McHenry County Office
5320 W. Elm Street
McHenry, IL 60050 (815) 344-9113 and (877) 480-3020